.

.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Missionary Spotlight

I've been wanting to start something new here for a while. Something called the Missionary Spotlight where I'll share the stories and plans of some of our missionary friends. In doing this I hope to share what the Lord is doing through ordinary people and to raise prayer support for them.

The first person I asked to share with you is my cousin Jennifer Rabe. She is a bright cheerful young woman with the desire to serve the Lord in Senegal, Africa. Right now she is studying french in Quebec before heading to Senegal. Her ministry website is on my sidebar or you can click here. Below is a picture of her and Elijah and below that is her recent newsletter.



Hi Friends and Family!

Bonjour! Comment ca va? That’s French for “Good Morning! How are you guys doing?”
My French is coming! It’s been an adjustment moving up to Quebec but I’ve been learning SO much! God’s been teaching me lots more than just French. I’ve been learning to rely on Him! When you are learning a language and trying to communicate, it’s hard to be yourself so I’ve really had to rely on Christ.

At first, I was putting myself under pressure because I really want to learn French well. I realized I was trying to do it in my own strength and that wasn’t working. As soon as I relaxed and relied on God, that’s when my French started to come. Sometimes I feel like I’m understanding things but other times I totally misunderstand a question. When that happens I just laugh.

I’ve had the chance to go on a trip with the Bible School students. They went to sing in a couple churches and that was good for me because it gave me a chance to learn more French and to rely on God more.

The students are really friendly though and that really helps. It’s been really cold though! A couple times, it’s gotten down to negative 18 degrees F! There’s several feet of snow though and it’s really pretty up there!

Please pray that I’d continue to learn French well and that I’d be patient. You don’t learn a language overnight and I’ve found with learning French I’m not all that patient. Also pray for this summer. I’m seriously thinking about staying in Quebec and working at a camp to help my French. I don’t know how everything is going to work out so please pray. I need to contact a camp next week. The more I think about it the more nervous I got. I know it will be good though. If you have any advice let me know!

Thanks for your prayers and support! I wouldn’t be able to do this without you guys!

Your friend,
Jen

If you would like to make a gift to the ministry of Jen Rabe, please click below. http://www.ntm.org/jen_rabe/give.php

If you would like to share your ministry on the next Missionary Spotlight send me an email! Or I may come looking for you... =)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

what a neat idea! This is great!!!! can't wait to read about more missionaries in the days to come. Will they be only overseas missionaries? if not I was thinking of GNN, crisis pregnancy centers, way of the master etc (:Crystal:)

Melissa G said...

Oh those are good ideas. Those ministries definatly deserve some recognision.
Here on our blog I was doing people that we knew personally, that we are pretty close to.
But you never know how this well turn out or where it'll lead.

Becky K. said...

This is a great idea!

I met Jen last week before she headed to Canada. What a sweetheart... and a fun bowler, too.

I am so glad you are doing this.
We are starting a new effort at church to feature the happenings of our missionaries and others that have special needs at any given time...Maybe this would be a resource that I could use for that purpose...you never know!

Great thinking, Melissa!

Becky K.

The Bailie Clan said...

your blog is sooooooooo unqiue!

i just wanted so say..
:)
hope all is well! :)

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

This is REALLY cool!!! What a great idea!! I will be checking often!