.

.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

How to make Kimbap

I want you to meet my friend Joy. She and her family are from Korea and are students with us in Missouri at the missionary training center.

Before we left for the summer Joy invited me over to teach me how to make kimbap, the Korean word for sushi.

Here's Joy mixing toasted sesame oil and salt into the rice. You can see all the other ingredients we've already sliced up. Carrots, ham, yellow radish, avocado, egg, a ground beef mixture. You can use what ever veggies you have.
Place a large seaweed sheet on the bamboo mat, shiny side down on a cutting board. Put two or three tablespoons of rice in the center of the seaweed sheet and spread evenly over the seaweed.



Spread the rice evenly over the seaweed sheet and leave about one inch margin at the top of the sheet to seal the roll later.

Spread a streak of mayonnaise and wasabi (or other condiment according to taste) across the middle, then add layers of seafood, egg, and vegetables (carrot, cucumber, etc.) down the center of the rice.
To roll, fold the seaweed paper (or the bamboo mat - if you have one) so the filling is enclosed in the center of the paper. Roll carefully and slowly, keeping some pressure evenly on the paper (or bamboo mat).

Remove the mat from around the roll. Slice the roll into slices, using a large sharp knife.


Sit down and enjoy!


4 comments:

Angie said...

I haven't had that in a long time! Makes me want to go buy the ingredients and make some! Mmm wasabi!

Randi Troxell said...

i have a friend who is Korean/ well half anyhow.. and sometimes i'll get her to cook for me.. and oh my!

so good!!!

Brittany Ann said...

Yum! We should make some in two weeks when I see you in SC!:)

And I just love Geoff posing with his sushi!

Unknown said...

Geoff's tastebuds must have been in heaven.

What a treat

Nice to meet you Joy. I like your name!