.

.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Trusting

"For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the LORD.”

These verses come from 1 Corinthians chapter one. I read them last week and then reread them almost everyday since. You see, we had to speak in a meeting last night and I was scared. We hadn't had a meeting in a few weeks and the last one we were at I forgot half of what i wanted to share. So I had a few extra butterflies in my stomach last night. I was definitely not feeling wise, mighty or noble. I've been feeling and seeing my weakness in new ways all week. So when I read that God has specifically chosen the weak things of the world it greatly encouraged my heart.

But it didn't stop there. Chapter two says this...

"And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God."

Paul wrote that he was feeling the same way I was! I too was weak, in fear and had much trembling! But he didn't let that stop him. He went ahead and did what God wanted him to do and God used him in great and mighty ways!

So i went last night and spoke. Not with an excellent speech, because I had none. Not in my own strength, because I have none. And not with persuasive words, because I didn't have any of those either! But trusting in my Lord to give me His strength and His words. Praying that the people at the prayer meeting would not hear me but hear Him speaking to them.


7 comments:

Becky K. said...

Most excellent, my Friend.
We all need to remember this truth.

Becky K.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Melissa,

My heart rejoiced as I read this post. You were such a tiny girl when I first came into the family and now you are a beautiful woman walking with the Lord. It is precious to me to see your heart.

I trust God used you to speak touch hearts.

Shonni said...

Such a sweet post and God does use our weaknesses for His glory if we trust Him, so I am glad that you had the chance to speak. How wonderful and encouraging..

Lauren said...

What a sweet post! I love that 1 Cor 1 passage - it's highlighted in my Bible. :)

Sherri said...

I was praying for you and your meeting last night, and then to read this this morning, wow, what a great passage. The Word is amazing, God is so good, all the time!!!

Brittany Ann said...

Yay! You spoke His words, and that's what we were sent here to do! I'm so happy He strengthened you last night!

the monkeys' mama said...

thank you for this encouraging post. You are such an incredible servant of Christ--i love learning from you.

i'm looking forward to a follow-up post about how the meeting went!