.

.

Friday, August 07, 2009

Trying to Focus


"Father
, I'm so delighted that You are both loving and sovereign, and that You cause all things to work together for good to those who love You, to those who are called according to Your purpose. So I thank You for each disturbing or humbling situation in my life, for each breaking or cleansing process You are allowing, for each problem or hindrance, for each thing that triggers in my anxiety or anger or pain. And I thank You in advance for each disappointment, each demanding duty, each pressure, each interruption that may arise in the coming hours and days.

In spite of what I think or feel when I get my eyes off You, I
choose not to resist my trials as intruders, but to welcome them as friends.

Thank You that each difficulty is an opportunity to see You work... that in Your time You will bring me out to a place of abundance. I rejoice that You plan to enrich and beautify me through each struggle... that through them You expose my weaknesses and needs, my hidden sins, my self centeredness (and especially my self reliance and pride). Thank You that You use trials to humble me and perfect my faith and produce in me the quality of endurance... that they prepare the soil of my heart for the fresh new growth in godliness that You and I both long to see in me... and that my momentary troubles are producing for me an eternal glory that far outweighs them all, as I keep my eyes focused on You. I'm grateful that You look beyond my superficial desire for a trouble free life; instead, You fulfill my deep down desire to glorify You, enjoy Your warm fellowship, and become more like Your Son."

"I thank You for the bitter things
They've been a friend to grace,

They've driven me from the paths of ease

To storm the secret place."

-
Florence White Willett

Scripture References (by paragraph)
1. Romans 8:28-29, 1 Peter 1:6-7
2. James :2-4
3. Psalm 68:8-12, 138:7-8; Job 23:10; Deut. 8:2-3, 16-17; 2 Cor, 4:17-18; John 12:27-28

Day 18 of 31 Days of Praise by Ruth Myers.



Becky, I thought of you last night when i saw these huge hydrangeas. They were so big and beautiful and I know you'd have loved them!

Crystal, we could have used them as your wedding bouquets!

7 comments:

cherie said...

melissa, i am inspired by your post! it is almost 5am now, and what a wondrous way to start my day! a blessed day to you and your family!!

Becky K. said...

The hydrangeas are huge and lovely!
We need to cut the old ones off of Mikey's bush. It was so full this year!

This is an uplifting post, Melissa!

I hope all is well with you and your family.

Becky K.

Randi Troxell said...

wonderful post and have a wonderful weekend!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I am teary right now, Melissa. I needed to read this today.

The hydrangea are stunning. I had two on my bush this year, one picked early by a sweet boy wanting to give his momma a pretty flower. The other was huge and is now fading...lovely still.

Blessings on your day, dear girl.

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Wow..Great devotional Melissa!! Thank you so much for sharing this, something I need to hear!

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

I LOVE that book. Saw it first at Grace House and went out and bought a copy then gave that copy away and went out and bought another copy!!