.

.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

It's Berry Season

These flowers are called fireweed and they grow every where here in the summer, along the roads, in empty fields, beside our fence. 

They bloom from the bottom up and when the tip blooms the saying is that we have six more weeks till winter.

These berries are also growing along our fence.

One night after Ethan was asleep Elijah was still awake so I gave himu a book and he read a chapter. He told me "I actually like reading now. It's fun." Yay!!!!
The next morning he read some more all on his own. Hopefully this new interest in reading lasts!
Reading! Whoohoo!!!
Look at this beautiful red cabbage growing in our friends garden. 
I've been helping her with her garden and she's been sharing with us.


She also has a whole bunch of raspberry bushes. 
Earlier in the spring we went over there and helped her clean out all the dead branches and weeds. 

Look at them now! They are taller than Ethan.



All the berries we picked. Ethan probably ate this many or more right off the bushes. :)

Most of the berries went into the freezer but THIS is where some of them ended up.
Raspberry Rhubarb Crumble
Delish!

I finally made this jam with rhubarb and strawberries. 
I don't have a blender so i just used a potato masher and put it in a jar and it's a bit chunky but I like it that way. I want to try it with raspberries next.

What have you been up to?

1 comment:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

You are busy with such good things, Melissa!

I've made that jam with Strawberries. I thought it was good, but some of the family didn't like the chia seeds.

We are doing school, and offering hospitality, and keep house. We have had a cooler summer, everyone, including us, are having issues getting their produce to ripen. I have tons of green tomatoes. And the weather feels more like late September not mid August!

Love you all there in Alaska. Kyle thinks fondly of the boys! I will try to have him write them. Email me your address, okay?

Aunt Deanna