.

.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Advice for a New Gardener

'Just living is not enough,' said the butterfly.
'One must have sunshine, freedom,
and a little flower.'
    ~Hans Christian Andersen

Ethan helping me water the flowers.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."
~Abraham Lincoln



While our neighbors are away we've been looking after their flowers. I love it. I can't wait to get to Florida and dig my hands into the dirt and plant my own garden. There's so much to learn though! I'll be starting with very little gardening knowledge or experience!

What advice or tips would you give to a beginning gardener? What are the essential "tools" that I need to start with?

Starting a little list of sites i want to keep about gardening in FL:
Sweet Potatoes
http://www.netpamj.com/groundcover.htm

http://centralfloridagarden.blogspot.com/

Gardening Calander

Broccoli
Front Yard Farmer
*Home Farming

3 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Try to find a good book on what grows well in your zone! Then start picking what you like perhaps do one area at a time...like near the front door - make it a pretty, welcoming spot. Think outside the box for planters, use unusal things. Go vertical with climbing roses or morning glories etc...

I love to make beautiful gardens!

Aunt Deanna

Natalie Jane said...

Darling pics!

KarenLana said...

I want to learn also. So far, we've done the shrubs, trees , green plantings and decorative grasses but it's time for flowers.

Books on our zone and you know Sharon, who has a degree in horticulture, would be good resources. She would LOVE to come talk with you about your garden I'm sure. She's been known to dig in and help for the sheer love of gardening. =D